The Millie the Mathematician early reader series is a new take on levelled readers, linking reading development directly to the Australian Curriculum: Mathematics.
The 24 book series features an engaging “cool” mathematician (Millie) who presents interesting mathematical facts to engage kids, support schools and empower parents to explore and discuss mathematical concepts with children while developing and improving their reading literacies and fluency.
The books are specifically written to link directly with classroom learning and align to learning outcomes across the three strands and nine F2 sub-strands of the Australian Curriculum: Mathematics.
Key features of the Millie the Mathematician Early Reader Series
Affordability – the print version series is up to 50% cheaper than comparable early readers. Complimentary online and video/audio books are available free of charge.
- Each book in the 24 book series is a 16 page, full-colour publication spanning PM reading levels 1-24. Comparable sets of home readers from commercial suppliers can be more than double the cost of this series. For example, the PM Maths series and PM Science Facts (Cengage Publishing) are $200.40 for a set of 24 early reader books (16 page full-colour) – more than double the cost of the Millie the Mathematician series!
- In addition, complimentary online and video/audio books are also available to schools for use in the classroom – free of charge!
Use as home readers or for guided reading groups in the classroom
- The books are suitable as quality additions to both home reader and guided reader collections. The pre-, post– and during-reading prompts are combined with introductions to interesting mathematical facts and ideas (from Millie the Mathematician) to assist teachers and parents to facilitate reading development while at the same time developing mathematical literacy.
Available in multiple modes – print, online, video, interactive e-books
- The Millie the Mathematician early reader series is available in print format to complement existing home reader and guided reader collections.
- Online and video/audio formats are also available free of charge for use in the classroom with every set of print books purchased. These come complete with full narration and Millie the Mathematician voice-over.
- Fully interactive e-books with narration and Millie the Mathematician character voice-over are also available for use on tablet devices at home or in the classroom.
- Check out each format here: print, online, video/audio books, interactive e-books.
Linked directly to the Australian Curriculum: Mathematics
- Each book aligns to learning outcome statements (i.e. Descriptors) from the Australian Curriculum: Mathematics.
- All three strands (Number and Algebra, Measurement and Geometry, Statistics and Probability) are addressed along with all nine F-2 sub-strands (Number and place value, Patterns and algebra, Using units of measurements, Shape, Location and transformation, Fractions and decimals, Money and financial mathematics, Chance, and Data representation and interpretation).
Overt involvement and empowerment of parents in the home reading process
- Detailed mathematical information is provided to empower parents to engage children in exploratory conversations about mathematics. This information is directly linked to classroom learning via the Australian: Curriculum: Mathematics.
- Before-, during– and after– reading strategies equip parents to actively support their child’s emerging literacy
- Interesting mathematical facts presented in a visually engaging way by Millie the Mathematician spark children’s interest and provide additional ideas for parents to discuss with children
Written by Australian educators for Australian classrooms
- The 24 book series is written specifically for Australian schools and homes and is linked to current classroom activities
- Storylines use exclusively Australian contexts and content
- The authors have collaboratively drawn on their experiences as STEM educators, early childhood teachers and parents to create an interesting and diverse range of books to connect mathematical concepts to everyday contexts that children (and parents and teachers!) can relate to.
Levelled reader series
- The 24 books are levelled across PM reading levels 1-24 and Fountas and Pinnell levels A-O
- Learning outcomes (from the Australian Curriculum: Mathematics) are levelled from Foundation – Year 2
Addresses both reading and mathematical literacy
- Consistent sentence structure and use of high frequency words appropriate to each reading level help children develop fluency, comprehension and vocabulary
- Key mathematical words are introduced for discussion prior to reading and in context to help children extend their reading vocabulary
- Images and labelled mathematical diagrams visually emphasise key concepts, create visual associations for children (words to images) and support both reading development and mathematical literacy.
Download Book List & Summaries
If you want to view the full set of titles or read a summary of each book, please enter your name and email address below.
Thank you. Please check your email in a minute.
Please double check your details.
My guided reading group absolutely love the Millie the Mathematician and Suzie the Scientist series. They are totally engaged for the entire session and really look forward to reading. The excitement at discovering the next title we will read together is genuine and creates quite a debate. Thank you for producing such a fabulous resource!
Cyndi, Admin/Teacher Aide Mt Molloy State School
Recently we purchased Millie the Mathematician – P&C Association Special Offer and Suzie the Scientist Early Reader Series as well as received a free additional Millie the Mathematician pack. As they are such a great addition to our home reader and guided reader library, we wish to purchase three more of Suzie the Scientist and two more of Millie the Mathematician so as we would have a library containing four of each math and science packs.
Maria, Teacher, St Patricks Catholic College Primary School
I look forward to receiving the books. I heard about them from the Rotary Assistant Governor of our sector of District 9685, who handed out a flyer at our recent Presidents’ meeting. I’m pleased to hear they have had such strong Rotary support.
Mentie, Wahroonga NSW
Congratulations on a great series, our teachers love them!
Julianne, Librarian, Goondiwindi State Primary School
The teachers and students love the readers.
Felicity, Teacher/Librarian, Townsville Grammar School
I’ve just found your books online. How I wish we had these a few years ago when our little girl (and lover of all things maths and science) had been learning to read! So wonderful to hear about great work coming out of our home state of QLD.
Emma, Mum, QLD